Razz is a lowball game, meaning that players aim to get the lowest hand possible. Razz is played the same way as Stud with the exception of it being a lowball game. If you are passionate about learning how to play razz then you would have to understand the rules of 7 Card Stud so as to easily learn the game of razz quickly.
Each player is required to place an Ante bet then they are dealt with two cards face-down and one card face-up and players bring it in.
- Like the stud game, the player who has the highest value face-up card is required to bring in “an Ace in either Razz or Stud because Aces are low in Razz and your aiming for the lowest hand possible in Razz”.
- Cards are ranked as to their face value from highest to lowest: King, Queen, Jack.
- Aces are considered as good cards and their value is viewed as low. Therefore, in razz the highest “and worst” value card is the King.
- If players make a tie on the high cards then the suit of their face-up cards break the tie.
- In Razz, suits are structured worst to best hand alphabetically: clubs, diamonds, hearts, and spades.
Betting Intervals / Game Proceeds
The betting round is different from stud. In razz the player with the best hand stats off with the action. The player with the best hand is the player with the lowest valued cards possible. Unlike in stud, the player who has the highest value card starts the betting round.
Players have got the option to make a call, check, raise and then the next betting interval takes place. There are 5 total betting rounds in Razz. The first round comes after you are dealt the initial 3 cards then one round for each card dealt thereafter.
Once the final betting interval has been completed players would have to show their cards and each player would have to make a winning hand out of five cards from their seven cards.
The other two cards are considered dead and they do not contribute in strengthening the hand.
The rules of the winning hand evaluation are as follows:
- A player with the worst hand wins the pot.
- In razz, flushes and straights do not count in the game the only best hand possible is the lowest straight A,2,3,4,5 “known as the wheel”.
- If the lowest hand on the table is a two pair then the pot will be awarded to that player in position with the lowest hand.
- Hand are evaluated the highest card down. For example, 3-4-5-6-7 is considered a worst hand than 4-6-7-8-9
- If two players make a tie the pot is shared evenly between the players and suits are not used for winning hand evaluation.
After the pot has been awarded to the player the next betting round commences and each player is made to place an ante and the betting proceeds in a clockwise direction.
Click HERE to read more articles.
Join The Full Tilt Academy.